Welcome to the Virginia Workers' Compensation Commission's (VWC) website.
The Commission is headed by three Commissioners and an Executive Director. The Commissioners are chosen by the General Assembly and serve six-year terms. Roger L. Williams, Wesley G. Marshall, and R. Ferrell Newman currently serve as Commissioners. The Commissioners elect a Chairman for a term of three years. Mr. Williams is currently the Chairman and Evelyn McGill is the Executive Director.
Executive Director’s Message:
The Commonwealth of Virginia is a wonderful place to live and a great place to work and raise a family. Owning a business in our state also offers various opportunities to develop, grow and prosper as an entrepreneur or business. Whether you are an employee of a business or an owner of a company, VWC is responsible for carrying out the requirements of the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Act, while administering Virginia's workers' compensation program, meeting legal requirements and providing various protections. Most employers doing business in Virginia and most employees working in Virginia are covered under the requirements of the Act. VWC ensures compliance with the Act and all workers’ compensation requirements through its mission and agency operations.
To serve injured workers, victims of crimes, employers, and related industries by providing exceptional services, resolving disputes, and faithfully executing the duties entrusted to us by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Lead the nation as the most effective and innovative state agency.
VWC's Core Values
- Innovative - Introducing or using new ideas or methods, in order to better serve our customers
- Respectful - Marked by or showing respect or reverence at all times
- Reliable - Required to explain actions or decisions
- Impartial - Treating all people and groups equally
- Integrity - The quality of being honest and objective; conduct that is of the highest moral character
- Effective - Successful in producing a desired or intended result